Workshop Tutor: Masha Bennett
About the Course
This is a two-day workshop covering both practical and theoretical aspects of working with clients who have experienced trauma within the context of holistic / complementary therapy practice.
Who is it for?
Practitioners and healers working within any holistic / complementary modality, including massage, reiki, acupuncture, kinesiology, reflexology, sound healing, yoga, energy psychology, nutrition, meditation and others who may encounter traumatised clients and where the treatment could potentially trigger a trauma reaction.
What will the participants learn?
- how to recognise the signs of trauma in their clients;
- important differences between developmental trauma and shock trauma/PTSD;
- the basic neuroscience of trauma and how to apply it in practice;
- significance of Adverse Childhood Experiences;
- the essential components of trauma healing;
- why some holistic therapies may be particularly effective in releasing trauma and how they may also trigger traumatic reactions;
- the risk of vicarious traumatisation in therapists and how to help prevent it;
- a range of simple techniques and approaches that will help both them and their clients stay safe and grounded during and after the session and in between sessions
- steps that need to be taken to assess and manage potential risk with a client who is in severe distress;
- options for referral to trauma specialists and other mental health professionals.
Teaching and learning will include group discussions, some lecture, interactive work in small groups, demonstrations of practical skills, practice sessions in pairs or trios, question and answer sessions.
Masha Bennett is a UKCP registered psychotherapist and clinical supervisor, trainer of Emotional Freedom Techniques, Sandplay Therapist, Gong Practitioner and tutor for the College of Sound Healing.
She has an MSc in Therapeutic Practise in Psychological Trauma from the University of Chester and has lectured and delivered training on various subjects of trauma, therapy, healing and wellbeing in the UK and internationally.
She also has experience in other areas of mental health including seven years as a psychotherapist in the National Health Service supporting patients with anxiety, depression, eating disorders and chronic pain, as well as some years of experience of work within the criminal justice system and addiction treatment services.
Continuous Professional Development certificates for 12 hours of learning will be issued to all participants who successfully complete the full two days of the course.
Dates and Venue
St Oswald’s Hospice Education Centre, St Oswald’s Hospice, Regent Avenue, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 1EE.
Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th November 2019 from 9:30 am to 5 pm
What is included in the fee?
- tuition and post course support (if needed)
- course handouts
- CPD certificates
- light refreshments in the morning and during the two breaks each day (please note lunch is not included and you will need to bring or purchase your own).
Booking and Queries
For questions about the venue and organisational matters, contact Andy Hunt by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0754 700 9116.
For enquiries about the course content and structure, contact the tutor Masha Bennett by email email@example.com or phone 07887 617 558 (please text first to arrange the time to speak).
Your self care It is important to note that whilst some aspects of this course may be healing, it’s main purpose is educational – it is not intended as a replacement for personal therapy. As this course deals with trauma and other potentially distressing material, before booking your place please be sure that you are able to take part in discussions that may touch on some difficult topics, without detriment to yourself.
It is particularly important that you have enough sleep, do not over-work, eat well, drink plenty of water and take time to connect to nature, in the few days before the course as well as after it. If you have any special requirements, requests or concerns about being able to participate in this course, please do contact us.